Self-Publishing and Marketing Workshop in Newport Beach
WOW: Hi Randy, thank you for taking the time out to tell us about your event today. What does the self-publishing and book marketing workshop entail?
Randy: On the first day, the focus will be for those who are writing a book and want to understand HOW the book publishing industry works and the steps required to self-publish your book SUCCESSFULLY! So many authors “dive in” to self-publishing unprepared without understanding the specific steps necessary to make a book successful. The result is poorly edited and poorly packaged books--ones that look, read, and scream out, “I’m self-published!” In almost every case, these books don’t achieve the success the author intended; and often it’s not because the writing and ideas presented aren’t good, but rather that the author missed the BASIC, but CRITICAL, elements of the publishing process.
On the second day, we will cover book marketing. Now that you have a book that READS and LOOKS great, it’s time to learn how to market it effectively! Randy and Jan will share with you steps--the necessary steps that every author should take in order to spread the word about a book--as well as share specific sales, marketing, and public relations ideas for self-published authors, including the specific marketing steps for some of their most successful titles!
WOW: That's a jam packed two-day workshop! Who should attend this event?
Randy: Have you written a book or are you planning to write one in the near future? Are you considering self-publishing? Do you want to learn the steps necessary to turn your manuscript into a successful book? Have you ALREADY self- published a book and want to learn how to market it more effectively? If you answered yes to any of these questions, then this event is for you!
WOW: Give us some details. How long does the workshop run, where is it held, and how much does it cost? Plus, how do you register?
Randy: The workshop is on July 28 & 29 at the Marriott Hotel & Spa in beautiful Newport Beach, CA (next to Fashion Island). Registration before July 16th is $395 for both days (or $225/day); registration after July 16th or until the event is sold out is $445 for both days (or $250/day). Dinner with the publishers is a special private dinner on Saturday night from 7-9pm with Randy and Jan. This is limited seating for $195. Register at www.InsightEventsUSA.com. The Marriott Hotel & Spa has made a special rate available of $189/night to those that register for the workshop and wish to stay at the hotel.(Booking a room is not a requirement for attending the workshop; this is a courtesy rate only if booked by July 16.)
WOW: Thank you for sharing all of those details with us. Tell us a bit about yourself and your other workshop leader. What experience do you all have in the self-publishing business?
Randy: I'm Randy Davila, the author of The Gnostic Mystery and the president of Hierophant Publishing and Hampton Roads Publishing Company. Between the two publishing houses, I have overseen the publication of books by authors such as Eckhart Tolle, Byron Katie, Neale Donald Walsch, Richard Bach, Jack Canfield, and many, many more. Turning Stone Press is the self-publishing arm of our business.
Jan Johnson is the publisher of Conari Press and Weiser Books at Red Wheel Weiser, LLC. For more than thirty years, Jan has worked with authors to publish books in self-help/improvement, wellness and recovery, women’s issues, and inspiration. She has worked with Anne Wilson Schaef, Julia Cameron, Riane Eisler, Mark Nepo, and other bestselling authors. Jan is also an expert in direct marketing and selling. She loves working with authors, helping them find their best voices, and positioning their books to help them get their message out into the world.
There will also be some special surprise guests on Sunday!
WOW: Oh, now that's a teaser. Everyone loves special surprise guests. It sounds like you and Jan alone have tons of experience and will have wonderful tips and strategies to share about the ever-growing self-publishing business. What are a few things workshop attendees will learn at the workshop?
Randy: Day 1 - Saturday, July 28th - From Manuscript to Book, The Creation Process
We will cover:
1) Writing and Editing - Understanding what READERS look for in a great book! Focus, category, voice, and more. Writing tips and common first-time author mistakes to avoid.
2) Book Packaging 101- The importance of a descriptive title, an eye-catching cover, and engaging back cover copy, plus tips for how to choose and create the best of each for your book.
3) The Book Creation Process- Understand the production steps in taking your work from manuscript to finished book, including ISBNs, copyright, LOC, permissions, etc., as well as understanding the business side of how the book trade works.
4) Steps to Self-Publishing-an overview of Turing Stone Press, the self-publishing imprint of Hampton Roads, Red Wheel/Weiser Books, Conari Press, and Hierophant, as well as a comparison of other self-publishers, and the three most important financial considerations when choosing a self-publisher.
5) Know your Hook (book pitch exercise)- present your title and book idea to Randy and Jan and receive feedback; put what they have taught you to the test. This is the most fun and educational portion of the day!
Day 2 - Sunday, July 29, From Press to Success! How to Market Your Book Effectively in Today's Publishing World.
1) Author Platform- We will share with you the definition and metrics of a successful author platform and provide specific steps on how you can build yours! This is by far the most important step you can take in making your book successful.
2) Getting Your Book Noticed- How to get radio interviews, book signings, and other media outlets to cover your book. Also, we will share steps you can take to get your book into book stores and other ways that will increase the awareness of you and your message.
3) Press Release and Online Marketing- The basics of a good press release and how to write one, plus ideas for how to promote your book online and launch a “bestseller” campaign.
4) Master Your Spoken Word- How to talk about your book effectively in two minutes or less (it's surprising how many first time authors aren’t able to do this). This is SO important when it comes to doing radio and press interviews, speaking engagements, and other personal encounters, where the goal is to move people to buy your book immediately!
5) The Author Business Model- specific strategies and examples on how you can increase revenues in addition to selling books (workshops, online courses, related products, etc.), and how doing these things will in turn increase the sales of your book.
WOW: Holy cow! That sounds awesome. What great topics that are so important in today's publishing world. What else would you like to tell us about the workshop or your organization? Where can interested writers find more information?
Randy: We receive over three thousand book submissions a year. I have a passion for helping new authors learn about the publishing and book marketing business, so they have the greatest opportunity for a successful book or series of books. We offer workshops like this so authors can learn from us and learn from each other, instead of trying to do it alone. We hope you will join us in Newport Beach!
WOW: Thank you, Randy, for taking the time to discuss the self-publishing and marketing workshop with us today. Muffin readers, remember if you are interested, check out this website now: www.InsightEventsUSA.com and register before July 16th for early registration prices--before registration fills up or you miss the early bird discount. Also, check out their Facebook page.
Interview conducted by Margo L. Dill