Your writing doesn't have to take a backseat this holiday weekend, even if you're busy with fun plans. Just try one or two of the exercises below. You'll probably be able to look back later at your notes and find inspiration for an essay, article, or short story.
1. If you're attending a social event, document three conversation topics you heard. If possible, jot down some of the actual dialog too.
2. If you're traveling by car, bring a notepad to record ideas--at least one random thought for each half hour on the road.
3. Write down a few lyrics from the first song you hear on the car radio. How do they apply to your life?
4. Create three haiku-like poems that describe something about your weekend. These can be serious or funny.
5. Make a list of the ten best (or worst) things about a place you went.