The 'Write' Mindset for the New Year
Not this year. I have a lot to accomplish.
Here's how I plan to get in the 'write' mindset for 2013. Trust me, it's not rocket science!
- Goals. Generally, I'm a planner, but in the past, I think one of my motivation problems stemmed from my goals. Most of them were long-term, and sometimes, those far-off hopefuls don't come to fruition, squelching motivation. What have I changed for 2013? I'm setting weekly, monthly, and long-term goals for my writing career. A couple publications have been on my "must be published in" list for over a year. I intend to crack those markets this year.
- Mindset. Now, I know I have my groove back. I know what I want to accomplish. I know what it will take to get from point A to point B. It's called determination.
- Query. For years, I tried to send out six new queries a month. But, somewhere along the way, I stopped submitting ideas to new markets (but kept writing for the markets I write for consistently). I'm going back to the six a month query theory.
- Read. Good writers are good readers. Lately, I haven't read as much as usual, but I intend to change that. In fact, I did today. :)
- Write. You can call yourself a writer, but unless you actually put words on paper (or computer screen) and generate material - whether for a publication or just for yourself - you're spinning your wheels. Get out of that rut and start writing!
How do you plan to meet your 2013 goals? Share your ideas with us.
by LuAnn Schindler